Menu

Montessori Method - Reading

I posted this on the Curriculum board to no avail - wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

DD has been going to Montessori preschool in the mornings. In the afternoons we read and play with manipulatives, but I stopped teaching her letters and how to read as I wanted her to get consistent instruction from the school without unintentionally confusing her.

The other night she started "reading" to her dad, only I think she really was reading, at least partially. I've spoken to her preschool teacher who suggests that this summer I continue the reading instruction as DD truly is on the cusp of reading. She would like me to use Montessori Read & Write to remain consistent with the instruction DD has had so far. Makes sense, but I was going to use OPGTTR. Both are phonetic, but she will return to Montessori in the fall and pick up with them so perhaps it is best to stay with Montessori's methods.

Does anyone have experience teaching reading the Montessori way?

Does anyone have experience with the book Montessori Read & Write?

Does anyone have advice for me on this matter?

Here's the kicker: I will be doing this overseas, and we leave in about 6 weeks, so I have to get my materials and books together NOW and will not be able to switch plans once we leave the US.

Anyone? Please?