Menu

Trying to create a rotating menu

I've looked at Emealz, SavingDinner and several other menu plans. I love the idea of a menu with a ready-to-go shopping list but I haven't found a plan I love (I'm open to looking at more plans if anyone wants to suggest one). We are South Beach eaters and my parents give us free! grass-fed! hormone-free! beef every year so we eat more beef then most families (I love my parents).

I want to make 6-8 weeks of menus of food we eat with shopping lists for each. Are there any programs or tricks to do this without manually creating the lists? Say two recipes call for 1 onion each. Is there any program that will look at that and tell me to buy 2 onions for that week?

If you have an iPhone, iPad, or an iPod Touch, download the Meal Board app. LOVE IT! Once you enter your recipes in, you can create 1 or 2 week menu plans plus shopping lists in only a few minutes. If you have a lot of your recipes on the computer, as I do, it is very easy to copy and paste your favorites into the program.

I absolutely LOVE Plan to Eat. Unlike E-mealz (which I tried and liked, but it wasn't perfect for us) et al, you enter your own recipes. It has a really cool tool which lets you auto-add recipes from the web, so you can build your recipe collection very quickly. Of course, you can type in any recipes from your own collection that aren't in digital form.

You drag and drop recipes from your collection into a calendar to build your meal plans (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and other). You can save any week or collection of weeks so that they can be reused at another time.

It also creates a shopping list based on your selected recipes which you can either print or use the mobile website from your smartphone and just touch the things on your list to check them as purchased.

You can share recipe collections with friends that also use Plan to Eat, and you can add your meal plan to any iCal calendar (like Google calendar). I love this because my husband and kids can add it to their Google calendars too and I get a lot fewer "What's for dinner?" :001_smile:

There are other features too (the designer is always adding things), but those are the main features I use. It has made meal-planning at my house SO much smoother. I searched for over a year to find just the right meal planner, and Plan to Eat is it. I've been a happy customer for almost a year!

Edited by mandymom
fixed the link