Menu

Montessori Read & Write

Giraffe

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about the Montessori method of teaching reading? I know that it's phonetic-based - they don't name the letters but call them exclusively by their sounds (short sounds for vowels).

DD is in Montessori preschool and wrapping up her first year. She is on the cusp of reading (about to turn 4) and I don't want to lose momentum over the summer. Her Montessori teacher recommended that I follow the Montessori method so there's no discontinuity (can't think of a better word). I was going to use OPGTTR, but she recommended Montessori Read & Write. I can't preview the book on Amazon or anywhere else before I buy it (only available used from what I can find).

I had stepped back from afterschooling/teaching DD while school was working with her on reading, but now that summer approaches I want to pick back up where they're leaving off.

Does anyone here know anything about Montessori Read & Write or have suggestions for how I can work with DD without confusing her?

OK - I did find a way to preview the book (don't know what my problem was earlier) and it looks like a form of phonetic instruction - first sounds (without looking at the letters), then the letters, then forming words with a movable alphabet.

I don't see anything necessarily wrong with their approach, so I think I will stick with it, generally, over the summer so that she's still in sync with their methods when she returns in the fall.

I do wish I could talk to someone who had BTDT on this though. Once I teach her reading in English, I get to teach her how to read in Turkish! At least Turkish truly IS phonetic: each letter really does have only one sound.

AAAIIIGGGHHHH!!!