Menu

Teaching adverbs

Janie

Of all the parts of speech, I think adverbs are the hardest to understand and to teach, probably because understanding them requires a really good understanding of the other parts of speech.

We use R&S faithfully now in grades 2-9 and love it. But the 8th graders really, really struggle with picking out adverb phrases and, more so, adverb clauses. They can find single-word adverbs fairly well. They also have difficulty determining what the adverb phrase or clause modifies. Interestingly, they can diagram the sentences well.

Sometimes, I just want to give a few easy lessons and move on, but I just cannot skip this stuff.

Each year, I tell myself that I am going to work backwards and teach them how to diagram adverbs (phrases and clauses) FIRST, then teach them the rest of the stuff. I really think this would work better, but so far I've not done it. (At the end of the year when we finally get to adverbs, so many other things are vying for my attention that I just run out of time and ambition.:))

Has anyone found a successful way to teach adverbs that might help?

Thanks!