Menu

Question for MFW AHL users...What would you do?

Hi all,

I haven't posted much on the highschool board, but I've lurked a lot!:)

I would love to use MFW AHL for my upcoming ninth grader. The problem I'm having is that we studied the ancients this year, using Wrapping Up the Pharaohs and Usborne's Encyclopedia on the Ancient World to beef up the current program HOD CTC. He has also read Gilgamesh by Robert Watson, and is reading through some Ambleside lit, which are Call of the Wild, The Hobbit, and Bullfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology. He wasn't interested in the HOD CTC extensions, except for Cat of Bubastas. So, do you have any suggestions about whether I can even make this work?

My son has his heart set on Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings next year, but I haven't seen it other than online samples. I saw a post yesterday and Julie gave her a workable idea that I've been mulling over! I don't know what to do about the books he has covered. Wonderigng if he did Bible, Lit/Composition, and Notgrass, what else do I add. Maybe Streams of Civilization, or Story of Europe since he will be overhearing some of the younger dc middle ages? I would love to figure out a way to use the skill builders in MFW AHL, so he will be prepared for MFW WHL. We are using IEW Ancient History Based Writing Lessons this year and I don't think this quite gets us to the writing level in WHL!

I hope this all made sense!:)

Jen

Edited by prairiegirl40

Hmmm...you've read an awful lot of the AHL books already. No matter what you do, you'll have to somewhat reinvent the wheel to use AHL with different books. I think, if I really had my heart set on AHL, I would get VPs Omnibus I (or Omnibus IV) and add in some of the books used. Or get SWBs History of the Ancient World.

Of course, some of the writing assignments in AHL may be thwarted if you are using different books. Gosh. Not really sure what to recommend since I haven't use AHL yet (but do have it for next year! ;)). Hopefully Donna A or Brindee will jump in with some help!

Julie,

I think I would like to follow your idea for using LLFLOTR.:) I really think it would work, especially since we would do the questions from LLFLOTR orally. I'm just wondering what I should do to replace Unwrapping the Pharaohs and Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World?

Thanks,

Jen

Edited by prairiegirl40

I'm just wondering what I should do to replace Unwrapping the Pharaohs and Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World?

Jen,

Are you saying he read the exact book, Unwrapping the Pharaohs? If so, I might just have him watch the DVD segments and skim thru as a review. (If it wasn't the exact book, I'd read Unwrapping because it's unique.) If you find you have extra time, my ds always likes videos. We've watched the AIG video for the Answers book (much shorter video segments, but he gets to see the real authors), and I like the videos for Faith Lessons/That The World May Know (Prophets & Kings volume). When my ds watches videos, he types up a short summary of what he learned so that he will retain something.

For Usborne, are you saying that he already learned pretty much everything that would be in there? I mean, it's a lot to read that whole thing. I suppose you could have him use a regular encyclopedia or the internet and research some areas of interest? Or do something else you've been wanting him to do? Maybe look more into one of the Biblical topics, such as read about the feasts & their connections to Jesus in A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays?

My kids would warn you not to get me started about what to add...

Julie