Menu

WWYD with Spanish (well, and French) in this situation?

pgr

Hello! :seeya:

This will be our first year HS'ing, and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row...

I initially planned to use El Espanol Facil Jr. , but it seems to be better in theory than practice (according to reviews/comments I've seen).

A bit of background - languages are big in our family, mostly just because that's the way our lives fell into place. We speak our native language at home. Our DD5 speaks English as well - she picked it up just with me reading English books to her in two languages; we don't really watch TV, and our babysitter doesn't speak English. DD was speaking (albeit not perfect) English before she started going to a half day Montessori K this past fall.

I grew up in the US, but spent two years living and going to school in Mexico - at the time, my Spanish was as fluent as English. It's gotten rusty as I've not really used it much, but I can still certainly speak it.

I took both French and Latin in school, and I can carry on a fairly simple conversation in French.

Ideally, I'd like to give our kids a background in Spanish, French and Latin. I don't want to slam them with languages, I just want to introduce them gently and give them the foundations while they're at that "sponge" age.

I'm wondering if I should just get a bunch of books (and CD's with songs) in Spanish and do what I did with "teaching" her English? Or do I need a formal program? Or should I just add in some grammar with the books - like Getting Started With Spanish?

For French I'm thinking of L'art de dire as I'm much weaker in that language.

Ack! Help! Any thoughts????

(thank you...)

Edited by pgr

Ack! Our kids would have a blast together ;-)

French, English, Spanish, Latin and Mandarin are the languages of our family. But we're just bilingual, the others are foreign languages still...

Sounds like it! :D (Though instead of Mandarin in the list of languages, we've got Lithuanian for the second fluent language...)