Menu

FAFSA confusion

Kimm in WA

We submitted our FAFSA on 1/1 and updated it with the newest info on 2/16. It was processed on 2/17 and we received our SAR, with our EFC.

Info from colleges' fin. aid letters has higher EFC...only by less than $700, but STILL. I logged onto the FAFSA website and it shows a changed SAR with the higher EFC the colleges used. It says change was made by college (vs. us).

What does that mean? What we sent to the colleges for verification is all the same info we submitted on the FAFSA.

TIA for any advice,

Kimm in WA

We've submitted the FAFSA three times now as our daughter is a sophomore. Twice thus far we've received similar notifications that our FAFSA has been 'corrected' by the college and our EFC adjusted. (And it's early days yet on this year's submission; if it's not changed once again, I may fall over in a state of shock.) If you compare your updated version with the 'corrected' version, you'll be able to see what changes have been made. In our case, we entered information that we believed to be correct given the question; however, it clearly was not what the question writer had wanted. (... as we like to think we're educated people, we find filling out the FAFSA to be an exercise in frustration. I believe that my husband will break out the champagne when we submit our last FAFSA!)

If you feel that the 'corrections' made by the college are erroneous, you should contact the financial aid department to ask for clarification. Otherwise, you probably need do nothing.

Regards,

Kareni

I would contact the financial aid department of the school your son will be attending and ask them what you should do. (It is possible that they are not the college that made the change.) Explain that you believe the correction to be wrong and why.

Best wishes!

Regards,

Kareni