Menu

Homeschooling in FL

Florida's a pretty easy state for homeschooling. You send a letter of intent (to educate your children at home) to the local school district. There are no attendance requirements or any quarterly checks. At the end of the school year, you submit an evaluation to the county. An evaluation can be one of three things:

1. Have a teacher review your child's portfolio of work and write a letter saing that the child has made a year's worth of progress.

2. Have your child take a standardized test and submit the results to the county

3. Have your child tested by a school psychologist

If you visit FPEA.com, you will find forms for your letter of intent and the teacher portfolio review. There's also a downloadable "getting started guide.". This guide should give you all the info you need (for example, you are also required to keep lesson plans and portfolios in case the county ever wants to check on you).

I believe FPEA also keeps a list of registered homeschool groups by county, but I can't help you there. I'm down near Tampa.

Hope everything goes well with the move.