Menu

In the middle of testing

We are currently in the middle of testing with our ds 10. Dyslexia and spatial dysgraphia are already identified. I suspect this week we will also find there is an auditory processing disorder, but that's just my guess. On one hand I feel relieved to finally know there really is something there. On the other hand, I feel overwhelmed about what this will mean in terms of the types of interventions that I will have to implement. Of course, we are still in testing and will be for several more days and I know that she is going to give us a detailed plan for intervention...still, I guess it's just the fear of the unknown.

I'm exhausted from teaching him. He is very smart and it's always been that it was right there and he just couldn't get it out. I feel like everyday I beat my head into the wall. He is such a sweet and intelligent boy and I feel like my lack of patience with him over the years has damaged him to the point of endless therapy. Of course, I know that's overdramatic but being a parent is really tough sometimes. I can only imagine the frustration he must have been feeling.

I have started reading on both of these topics and would be interested to hear any opinions or advice from parents who have BTDT.

:grouphug::grouphug: It is overwhelming and exhausting. But, from my experience, the interventions are not any more difficult than using the wrong method or the wrong approach for so long. At least with having a diagnosis, and knowing that K, L, and T are usually good methods for persons who have those traits, you can be on the right path. Plus you can get some affirmation that you were on the right path, but say, at the wrong time of day. When my son's results started coming back to me, it was almost too much to take in at times. Having my 'fears' confirmed was tough to hear. It did also however help me know that I wasn't crazy, and maybe that wall isn't brick after all.

The testing also brought about a change in my son. He also better understood how he learned, and why some were difficult for him. Having that understanding helped he remove those self inposed labels of stupid and incapable. Once he knew he could learn, it was much easier. Well, sort of. He still doesn't like'school' and would rather be doing anything else, but he isn't hitting me with "I will never be able to do this" any more.

Thank you so much! We are headed out for another day of testing today. We should be finished by tomorrow. I am finding it difficult to wait for the results. It was such a such a relief just to make the appointment. Now, it feels like torture waiting to get the results.

Thank you for your encouragement and support!