Menu

History/Literature Narration

PenKase

This is dd11's narration from our Black Ships Before Troy reading. It is an unedited piece, submitted as type written by dd. One of my major concerns regarding dd's writing has been the lack of organization but I am very happy with her though process and organization with this particular narrative. I think it's one of dd's best pieces thus far and wanted to submit for review:

The High King’s Embassy

Hector and Ajax fought together tirelessly, but when night fell, they decided to cease combat. Instead of continuing their fight on the morrow, they wanted to be known as the people who met as enemies but parted as friends. Thus, Hector gave Ajax a sword with a hilt decorated in silver. In return, Ajax gave Hector a belt adorned with purple, the “color of the kings.” When Diomedes started a charge against the terrified Trojans, mighty Zeus delivered them from their terrible fate by hurling a lightning bolt across the sky, landing it right in front of Diomedes’ horse. Suddenly, the smell of sulfur arose and the horses, confused, receded, causing Diomedes in defeat to go back to his Greek camp. The victorious Trojans rested outside their walls with confidence that the Greeks would not attack them any longer, and sent for food and wine from their city. At this point, Menelaus was in desperate need for counsel and summoned his advisors, suggesting that they plead to Achilles for help. They went to Achilles and found him playing his lyre. They told Achilles of Menelaus’ request, and of the rewards that were to be given if Achilles participated in battle. Achilles, with anger still inside him, refused the generous offer, even when his old teacher, Nestor, consulted him.

Edited by PenKase