Menu

Lively Latin vs. Prima Latina

Prolife Mom

I think the early Latin programs to look at are Prima Latina, Song School Latin, and Minimus. They are for having fun and getting your feet wet--an introduction. I see Lively Latin as more on a par with Latina Christiana and Latin for Children. Use them when you are ready for a more comprehensive grammar approach to the language--roughly 3rd grade or so.

Each of these has their own style. Prima and LC are ecclesiastical, a bit more dry. Lively Latin has more cultural information. I find LfC fun and complete. There are others out there too--these are just the ones I looked at. From the samples, LfC really fit the way my brain worked (and dd thinks a lot like I do). We've been happy with it. We love languages here, but I couldn't see us having success with this before about 3rd grade. My youngest has enjoyed tagging along since her K year, but she's not trying to master the grammar.

We just finished Song School Latin with my 6 year old, and it was wonderful. We're getting ready to move to Prima Latina, which looks like a step up as far as difficulty. SSL is a fun, gentle introduction to Latin. I definitely recommend it, although I'm sure Prima Latina would be fine too. From what I've seen of it, we would have been able to start with it easily now even if we hadn't done SSL this past year.

LfC looks good, and we'll probably go that direction after Prima Latina. It's just a lot more involved--a big step up from SSL, and I don't think we're ready to add that much on to what we're already doing for school. I haven't really looked closely at Lively Latin, so I can't really comment on that one.