Menu

Apples & Pears Spelling

parias1126

I'm thinking about purchasing this and would love to hear from those of you that have used it. I know a lot of you use AAS and that's out if the question. We finished level 1 and it didn't work well for us. My DD doesn't do well measuring a bunch of rules. Even going over and over them, when it came time to apply them, it didn't happen.

I have seen a couple posts here with regard to Apples & Pears and that it's good for children that aren't natural spellers. I have looked at samples and it looks great. My one biggest concern would be where to start with my 8 year old DD. The Level 1 samples look very easy, but the Level 2 sample looks like a huge jump from Level 1.

If you didn't start with this program from the beginning, what level did you start with with your 2nd/3rd grader?

There have been a few threads on it if you search, one recently I think.

My dd is a lot like yours. Even after 3 levels (and 3 years) of AAS, the rules are just in one ear and out the other. She's my big picture, whole word girl. I just got my A&P set today so I don't have any BTDT experience. But have you seen the placement test on the website? It looks like dd9 would place at lesson 61 in level A just by looking. So, after I give her the test just to verify, I'll probably end up starting back in the middle of book A somewhere just to cover all our bases.

Thank you for the placement test link! I just printed it out and tested my DD. She mad it all the way to the end of Level A without missing any words, but was getting tired so we will finish tomorrow. I'm thinking she will end up starting at the beginning of Level B.

I use it for my 2nd and 3rd grader. It's very easy to use, just open and go. I usually spread out a level over several days. We do several parts at a time, but dictation and tests each get their own days.

My 9yo started out in SWO and loved it, but didn't retain a darn thing. His spelling is so much better now. If AAS were completely independent for the student, it would be perfect.