Menu

anyone else use multiple math curr?

ChandlerMom

I mean more than just supplement, but really use multiple math curricula. If so, what and why?

My 7yo raced thru K-4 math and does well now with MM (with just a little supplementation for fun).

My K'r is good with math and started MM 1A in Jan. It's easy for her but she was getting resistant. I realized she needs cutsie colorful pictures so it looks more like play. So I alternate sometimes daily between 3 different books: MM 1A, a DK Grade 1 math workbook, and Sadlier-Oxford's Progress in Math (grade 1 workbook). She also does a Scholastic Math games workbook with her sis. Interestingly she asks to do the MM after a few pages of the others. I decided since we hs 7 days a week, prolly 330 days a year, she can cover 3 grade1 curr in a year :lol: I'm seeing value in encouraging kids to wallow and play in elementary math, as long as the kids don't get bored.

Has even made me up the color/play/games in her sis' math. :D

How about you?

I use 3 math curricula with ds8, Singapore, Horizons, Life of Fred. I do it because I think it's useful to be taught math using different approaches and because he is good in math and he goes through it quickly. We only school about 180 days, but he spends 45 minutes or so on math a day and goes through 4+ lessons a day.

I was using Singapore + CLE Math. But, we got really burned out on it. I dropped CLE a few weeks ago and we added Miquon as a math lab.

I would like to have the 9 yro work on Life of Fred Fractions later this year (around December, maybe).

Thanks! You helped me to clarify in my mind why I like "wallowing" -- I think it gives them the exposure and time to see different approaches to math concepts. It was bugging me that I had changed my approach to math ed and didn't know WHY. :D

Anyone else teach math many ways? Favorite complementary materials?