Menu

Maybe I'm worrying too much about science

Tracy

I have been feeling really guilty for not doing science for a couple of weeks. Dd6 really likes it, and I do, too, but I don't always enjoy preparing the lessons.

But then I saw a scrap piece of paper that I have been using this week. It had a diagram of a head so I could show dd where the pituitary gland was located. It had a diagram of vertebrae to explain how people get shorter as they get old. And it had a genetics table showing how dd ended up with blue eyes and ds ended up with brown eyes. These were all done because of discussions that dd initiated. I realized that we are not doing so bad with science after all.

Definitely sounds like you have nothing to worry about! :D

I really think interest-led is a great way to go at this age. They can learn so much by just exploring their world and asking questions, reading science books from the library, etc. My son is always spouting off random facts that he learned from some science book he read a few weeks earlier. He has learned more from those than from any curriculum I've tried to use!

Definitely sounds like you have nothing to worry about! :D

I really think interest-led is a great way to go at this age. They can learn so much by just exploring their world and asking questions, reading science books from the library, etc. My son is always spouting off random facts that he learned from some science book he read a few weeks earlier. He has learned more from those than from any curriculum I've tried to use!

:iagree:

Except that she asks for it, and I find I just don't have time. And then there is the fact that dh is a physics teacher, so science is really important in our family. But I am the one worried about it. Not him.