Menu

K math - Right Start?

blondeviolin

I am questioning whether we should move on with RS A. I would eventually jump to either Math Mammoth or Singapore. I know RS gives a great foundation for both programs. I've heard with RS you should really do the A and B before moving on to something else. I'm wondering if it would be okay to jump ship after A? While this year my oldest will be my only "student", the next year I will have 2 and I'm not sure I can do teacher intensive A AND B at the same time...

Can you wait until they are 5 & 4, and then start A with both kids together? That has worked beautifully here. Yes, sometimes someone is moving a little slower than they would if they were getting one-on-one perfect pacing, but that's life. It's better than it would be in a classroom where the pace was adapted to 20 kids, right? :)

Can you wait until they are 5 & 4, and then start A with both kids together? That has worked beautifully here. Yes, sometimes someone is moving a little slower than they would if they were getting one-on-one perfect pacing, but that's life. It's better than it would be in a classroom where the pace was adapted to 20 kids, right? :)

My kids have birthdays around the time yours are, just a year later. So its good to know it worked for you!

My daughter turns 5 at the end of May; my son will be 4 at the end of October. So I have toyed with the idea of not starting math with the oldest until the first of next year. That would make the oldest 5.5 and youngest just a few months past 4. Would a young 4 be able to keep up? (FWIW, he can do every bit as much of "math-oriented" work as she can currently. He is not a sit-down, learn-your-lessons learner so I am not planning any formal learning for him ATM.)

I'm assuming your youngest was a young 4 when you started, right?

Edited by blondeviolin

My kids have birthdays around the time yours are, just a year later. So its good to know it worked for you!

My daughter turns 5 at the end of May; my son will be 4 at the end of October. So I have toyed with the idea of not starting math with the oldest until the first of next year. That would make the oldest 5.5 and youngest just a few months past 4. Would a young 4 be able to keep up? (FWIW, he can do every bit as much of "math-oriented" work as she can currently. He is not a sit-down, learn-your-lessons learner so I am not planning any formal learning for him ATM.)

I'm assuming your youngest was a young 4 when you started, right?

Keeping them together is the way to do it! I tried for a while doing both phonics & math individually, and it was a nightmare. It was so bad that I found myself avoiding teaching at all. Lump them together.

If the youngest isn't ready (you will know about 10-15 lessons in), just postpone it for BOTH kids. A lot of people have young 4s who do great with RS A. My young 4 and one of my 5.5s weren't ready. If they aren't ready, use MEP Reception (which is free except for printing), then go back to RS A for both.

As long as they are kind to each other (vs. competing), keep them together, b/c your life will be a lot less stressful, which will make you a much better instructor!! Let me repeat, if your older child has to wait a little, THAT'S OK!!!

Keeping them together is the way to do it! I tried for a while doing both phonics & math individually, and it was a nightmare. It was so bad that I found myself avoiding teaching at all. Lump them together.

If the youngest isn't ready (you will know about 10-15 lessons in), just postpone it for BOTH kids. A lot of people have young 4s who do great with RS A. My young 4 and one of my 5.5s weren't ready. If they aren't ready, use MEP Reception (which is free except for printing), then go back to RS A for both.

As long as they are kind to each other (vs. competing), keep them together, b/c your life will be a lot less stressful, which will make you a much better instructor!! Let me repeat, if your older child has to wait a little, THAT'S OK!!!

Thanks so much for this! My youngest gets competetive, but it's completely lost on the oldest who couldn't care less :lol:.