Menu

online courses

I'm pretty sure this is not an issue with anyone on this board. I work for a school that has a large number on online students. I am sick of grading assignments which are written in "text" format. I am sick of grading assignments in which spelling is not checked and no capitalization is used. I don't grade English. My expertise is Math and Science. All science courses have essay questions included with assignments. Some math course do, but not many. I also grade history courses. I get the impression students think that since it isn't English they don't need to actually communicate. I've been spending a lot of time looking at assignments trying to determine what content is in the answer. I send many emails, sometimes multiple emails to the same student, explaining poor mechanics makes it impossible to determine if they actually answered the question.

If students would write an answer in Word first and correct all the mistakes Word finds, I might have something I can read. If they would read the directions and write 2 or 3 paragraphs when the directions tell them to do so, I might be able to give some credit.

I am really tired of looking at absolute junk.

Had to get that off my chest.