Menu

Meet the Masters with Multiple Ages?

yellowperch

My children are 11, 9, almost 7, 4 and 1.4. I like the looks of this program, but I need to keep costs down, and keep things relatively simply. We have lots of art books already so maybe I just need to make a commitment to reading them and doing art projects (we have a projects book based on aparticular artists already, too.) Has anyone used this with a range of ages? Does having the program make it more likely that you follow through? How are the projects to execute? What would you really need to order to have a good chance of making this work.

Ca you tell DOING art not my forte?

Advice?

http://www.meetthemasters.com/

Thank you,

:lurk5:

Would love to hear a little more about this. I have been eying MTMs for awhile now and would love to use it on my oldest (almost 5). But cost-wise I was thinking it might be better to wait a year or two so my middle dd would be able to get some usage out of it.

I teach MTM to a group of about 40 kids at our church. The age range is huge, from 4 to 16 (or more accurately, to adult, since most of the parents learn right beside their kids and do the projects too;)). I love teaching with MTM (and I am not an artistic person in any way). The history is fascinating and the techniques are simple, varied, and fun.

MTM is super-easy to teach to a large age group. The pictures hold the interest of the little ones while you present the history and techniques to the older ones. It is all done in a conversational/story format, and is very engaging.

My only advice is to buy the program tailored to your oldest student. It is easier to take material away than it is to add it.

Okay, one more piece of advice which should be obvious, but probably isn't - read the material on your own before presenting it. Any script, no matter how well written, will be dull. You will want to add you own touch to capture the kids' interest. I very rarely stick to the script. I personally use it as a jumping off point for my own research and as a fall-back guide when I loose my place during class.

Check out my blog (which I admit needs some updating) to see what we have been able to do using MTM. SketchArtProgram

Edited by LibertyH

I'm going to start Meet the Masters this fall (after we move) with a 4th grader, 3rd grader and 1st grader. It should be fine.

Thanks, LibertyH for the suggestion to buy to the oldest student! I was wondering what level to get. :001_smile: