Menu

Feel like I messed up our history plan

amyrjoy

:glare: I had great hopes this year of accomplishing SOTW 1 along with BJU heritage studies. We managed to do the first 14 chapters or so of SOTW and then dropped it. Almost done with BJU. Seemed like as far as teaching my two kids, one in K and one in 2nd, that BJU was easiest right now to accomplish. So, as I am trying to map out the next year, I'm torn. Do I start over with ancients again come fall. Or do world history for a year, via Sonlight perhaps. or start American History with Bigger Hearts with HOD OR American

History 1 with WP, using WP as a guideline, not ordering FROM THEM. Note: my youngest would really go for anything his sister is doing. He's reading great, and is very bright. Last year, when my daughter was in first, we covered some ancients, and then exploration, colonial times, up til about 1850. This year, my plan faltered a bit. Kinda feel like I could do more American history with the kids ( but don't know whether I should do HOD or WP). Perhaps with a Native American focus and looking at all 50 states. But then, maybe I should world history! Agh! On the otherhand, I loved the look of using Illuminations, with Mystery of

History. I'm not sure SOTW fit with my kids. Maybe wait a year- or two- before diving back Into a rotation of history? My DH thinks we should do American studies of some type since My youngest will be in first still. Any thoughts out there, all you busy homeschool mammas? Lol!

My other thought was, since we are going to continue to school during the summer, three days each week or so, maybe I could just schedule more of the ancients (with MOH instead) then. Then start American history 1 in the fall. We will be doing just math, reading, and history, and art in the summer. I want their minds kept fresh this time.

I don't really have a good answer, but I think it is wise to avoid re-doing anything. Doing so will feel like failure. We all need to move on, even if we didn't get everything we wanted out of what we did. And you will be coming around to do ancient history again at the logic stage.

We did American history for 2nd grade this year using lapbooks from A Journey Through Learning. It was nice getting a foundation for American History since we're starting ancients for 3rd grade and it will be a while before we return to American history. We did a time line so it was good to go through some of those concepts before we start our rotation. For first grade, we did a light American symbols unit for history. HTH