Menu

Another Math Question

daejm

My son turned eight a few months ago. He is halfway through SM 6B and I am wondering where to go from here. He enjoys math but is definitely slowing down from previous SM levels as the problems get more involved. My biggest problem here, however, is myself, not him. I have 4.35 other children, all younger, and am not taking the time to re-learn and explain concepts to him effectively. Up until now, I haven't had to do much prep work but things are getting more complicated and I am afraid of cheating him of good explanations for pre-algebra/geometry stuff. I guess I'm not feeling qualified to do a good job instructing him in math. I'm wondering if I should switch to another curriculum that has a clearer presentation of concepts than SM does and, if so, what your expert opinions might be for a smooth transition -- or if I should spend more time preparing... or enlist my husband to spend time in the evenings on math (at the risk of cheating family time!). Thanks in advance for your suggestions.