Menu

Native speakers from France or their spouses

jld

Not native from France, but the kids follow the French 'cursus'. (as in from France)

I have my kids following the CNED courses, but there are other long distance schools. Hattemer, LeGendre are just two examples.

http://www.hattemer.fr/

http://www.cours-legendre.fr/

http://www.cned.fr

You're guaranteed to follow the French national curriculum that way.

CNED is the only one where you can take their material and use it on your own. The good thing about this approach is that the material is written so the child can work on his own, as opposed to school books which assume a teacher and a classroom presentation.

Otherwise I tend to go with Editions Hatier. I've always liked what I've seen and used from them. to top it all, often their teacher manuals will be available online for perussal.

http://www.lyceehatier2010.com/ You can find the books for the 'lycée' here.

Edited by CleoQc

Thanks, Cleo. I will have dh look at your post.

I just talked to him briefly this morning about including some sort of study of French gov't in dd's plan for 11th, and maybe something on the history of France. I'm wondering if I'm just going to end up in Carrefour looking at the Pour les Nuls books . . .:lol:

You know, even with the somewhat minimal French studies our kids have done (grammaire and orthographe, reading books in French), I'm really pleased with their level. Things don't have to be perfect to be good, I guess.

I am SO FAR from high school, lol, but I was planning to do a CM-ish type approach to French in general. When/if we come across book choices in our "normal" curriculum which have been translated from the original French, we'll just get it in French and read in the original language. But I do think we'll get the Swiss history pour les nuls to round things out. :-) Since I think we'll be in the US long before then, I will probably use the WTM history rotation, but spend extra time on the francophone world, especially Switzerland.

the best Canadian history book I've seen for high school or adults is indeed the "For Dummies" edition. However it is not translated in French. Bummer for us. I'm only mentionning this, because it's true it's a good series for a crash course in history. It does not prepare for a high school exam though, if you need to do that. If you're only worried about knowledge and not credits, then they're fine.

I'm just not that familiar with what is available, you know? And since dd is our first child in high school, we're still just learning the ropes. She's put a lot of time into math and science these last two years, but I'd like to balance that with some history and lit next year, and I have to consider the French side of things in that, too, I feel.

I try to respect dh's language and culture, but since I am the one with the kids most of the time, doing most of the homeschooling, we just lean heavily towards English and American culture.

I'm not worried about testing or anything like that. The kids don't seem to want to go to college in France, or even live there for any extended period of time, so everything we do is indeed just for knowledge. And I have to say that the books we've found on our own haven't been bad, by any means. It just seems like a good idea to ask around, too, and see what we may have overlooked.

Edited by jld

I'm not a French native either (unless you can make it happen by wanting it badly enough) :) but I'm hoping my youngest will consider himself native. I drool over the CNED curriculum. I LOVE French school materials. I'm keeping in the back of my mind using the CNED stuff for the youngest, but also for the others if I can get them up to speed (especially if we go to France for a while).

I'm not a French native either (unless you can make it happen by wanting it badly enough) :) but I'm hoping my youngest will consider himself native. I drool over the CNED curriculum. I LOVE French school materials. I'm keeping in the back of my mind using the CNED stuff for the youngest, but also for the others if I can get them up to speed (especially if we go to France for a while).

Lol! French is a beautiful language from a beautiful country. :)

If we really wanted our kids to have a French education, we could put them in the French school a few hours from us here in India. It would involve a move, though, and fewer recreational facilities, so it's unlikely to happen. Last Sat. morning, though, when I was feeling frustrated with the boys, it didn't seem like a bad plan . . .

Edited by jld

Lol! French is a beautiful language from a beautiful country. :)

If we really wanted our kids to have a French education, we could put them in the French school a few hours from us here in India. It would involve a move, though, and fewer recreational facilities, so it's unlikely to happen. Last Sat. morning, though, when I was feeling frustrated with the boys, it didn't seem like a bad plan . . .

Oh, wow, you are in India, I didn't realize that! So interesting how many people there are here from all parts of the globe.

We have a French immersion public elementary school near us, but we originally wanted the kids to go to Jewish day school, and that won out... and now, I'm loving homeschooling so much I don't think I could give it up for any school, LOL.

Although, sometimes I wonder if it's really the homeschooling I love, or the researching, planning, and scheduling.. and buying curriculum! All that stuff is so much fun.

Oh, wow, you are in India, I didn't realize that! So interesting how many people there are here from all parts of the globe.

We have a French immersion public elementary school near us, but we originally wanted the kids to go to Jewish day school, and that won out... and now, I'm loving homeschooling so much I don't think I could give it up for any school, LOL.

Although, sometimes I wonder if it's really the homeschooling I love, or the researching, planning, and scheduling.. and buying curriculum! All that stuff is so much fun.

I'm sure that Jewish school was great. What made you decide to switch to homeschooling?

I'm sure that Jewish school was great. What made you decide to switch to homeschooling?

A long list of reasons:

1) DD was unhappy socially. She's not a "popular kid" and the girls in her class were already "mean girls" in 4th grade.

2) DS(9) was bored and the school wouldn't listen to me. He was losing his intellectual curiosity and getting lazy because everything was far below his level.

3) finances. Tuition is expensive and we have 5 kids.

4) I wanted to quit my job as a lawyer anyway, and this seemed like a good way of filling up the time. :lol: