Menu

Lego Education Questions

After several years of horrid science experiences and reading all the conversations about teaching out of the box, I am seriously considering a Lego curriculum for my 7th grader to be. He is a sciencey kid (scored at a 9th grade level on the 5th grade IOWAs when we had done very little science, ever) but he has hated EVERY formal science program we have ever done. He knows all kinds of stuff about nature and animals from his own pursuits, and I would like to get him excited about some of the other aspects of science. But more than anything, I just want to have 1 good year of science to encourage him that it's really not so bad!

After checking out the website, I am leaning towards Intro to Simple and Motorized Mechanisms

Will this be too simple for a 12 year old who has struggled with science but loves legos? He also seems to have dyslexia and while he loves to read, he is not a strong reader and doesn't do well reading "text book" stuff. So, if you've used it what are your thoughts on it? And is there another kit you would recommend?

My other BIG QUESTION is will I be able to box this up at the end of the year and reuse it with my other kids? How much of the stuff is consumable and are consumable parts easily replaced (without having to buy the whole kit over)? I'm having a hard enough time thinking about spending that much on one subject. If I can't reuse it, I may have to rethink things.

It is nonconsumable. Well, there are workbook pages that you use to document your findings but you can easily photocopy them. I think some of them now come on CD so you'd just print them. I'd have to pull mine out and think about it for a 7th grader. I guess it really depends on how much science your kid has done. Later once school is over, I'll see if I can type up the concepts covered. I have the older (and much cheaper kit! Wow am I glad I bought all my LEGO Ed kits years ago!) but it's the same for the most part I think.

Have you looked at Exploration Education?

Exploration Education has a new one ..the Advanced kit. It adds on to the Intermediate kit. This company has THE best customer service I have EVER seen. They bend over backwards to help you.

Great, as I plan from buying from him in in 2 weeks!:D

Edited by radiobrain
doh!