Menu

Kindy/1st grade reading help?

Koerarmoca

My 5 yr old is in Kindy at a pvt Christian school. I have been impressed with her reading and feel she is really taking off. I think though that I shouldn't be so impressed because what she is reading isn't much of a challenge. She gets a weekly reader from school this week was "get wet" its really just loads of repetition. I can get wet, can Joe get in, Joe is wet. Can the dog get wet? yada yada and she LOVES to read Dick and Jane (again loads of repetition). She is proud and I am very proud too but I wonder how much she is actually reading and how much is just memorization. how much should she actually be reading at this point? I am looking at some of our first grade stuff for next year and thinking no way is she nearly ready for some of this. I have Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons but the first 10 or so lessons we have done have been to easy/boring for her. I plan to do FIAR with her but a lot of the books seem pretty advanced. She has 2 terms left at her school and I don't know how much more she will learn by the years end. I just want to have a good idea of where she should be now and if she will be ready for FIAR next year.

Well, FIAR is designed for parents to read the books to their children, so her own reading level wouldn't matter as far as the FIAR selections. You'll need to add reading instruction to FIAR with a phonics program (i.e. 100 EZ lesson) if she's still learning to read. If you're hoping she'll be done with phonics by that point, I'd work with her now, especially if you suspect that she's memorizing rather than truly decoding. You can always skim or skip lessons she really doesn't need. Even in the fall, though, she'll still be needing lots of reading practice with books at her own level in addition to FIAR.

There's really no "should" as far as what she should be reading at this point--reading abilities at that age are SO diverse. If it seems like she could be progressing faster or that what she's doing really is too easy, you could try stepping it up a notch and see if she rises to the occasion. She may really be ready for a quicker pace than a classroom environment can provide. I'd be careful not to push too hard, though--you don't want to frustrate her, especially since reading seems to be such a positive thing at this point.

Hi! I've taught 3 of my kids to read now. :D

At 5, if they're reading CVC words, I'd be overjoyed. :001_smile:

I think the repetition is good. Also, it takes a while for them to stop sounding out the first letter + the remaining blend. Sometimes reading the same words over and over will bring on some smoother reading.

Going through the "learn to read" process slowly in the beginning helps make better spellers, too - from my experience. My Kindergartener is reading CVC words and some long vowel words still, but if I dictate a CVC word to her, she'll spell it correctly every time.

You should be proud of your daughter! :hurray:

Is this going to be your first year homeschooling? Do you want to post your 1st grade plans? We're using My Father's World 1st Grade (for the 1st grader), some read-alouds from Sonlight Core 1 and Singapore Math + Miquon (but we always tend to be heavy on the curriculum).

Like the other poster said, FIAR is for the parent to read to the student. Just like Sonlight, the parent reads almost all the books aloud. :D

Hi! I've taught 3 of my kids to read now. :D

At 5, if they're reading CVC words, I'd be overjoyed. :001_smile:

I think the repetition is good. Also, it takes a while for them to stop sounding out the first letter + the remaining blend. Sometimes reading the same words over and over will bring on some smoother reading.

Going through the "learn to read" process slowly in the beginning helps make better spellers, too - from my experience. My Kindergartener is reading CVC words and some long vowel words still, but if I dictate a CVC word to her, she'll spell it correctly every time.

You should be proud of your daughter! :hurray:

Is this going to be your first year homeschooling? Do you want to post your 1st grade plans? We're using My Father's World 1st Grade (for the 1st grader), some read-alouds from Sonlight Core 1 and Singapore Math + Miquon (but we always tend to be heavy on the curriculum).

Like the other poster said, FIAR is for the parent to read to the student. Just like Sonlight, the parent reads almost all the books aloud. :D

No this is not my first year schooling

dd12 was HSed prek, 3rd, 4th(cyber school) & part of 5th

dd9 was HSed prek & 1st

dd5 was HSed Prek

My plans for 1st thus far are

math- MEP

Reading/LA- FIAR & FLL

S.S- CLE 1

we have great phonics dvds at the library that she loves, and we have 100EZ and she also loves playing on starfall. I can also check out OPGTR from the library and try that out with her and if I like it more than 100EZ then I will get rid of that and buy OPGTR. My older 2 dd's read very young and with very little help from me (I was the same as a child) so this is kind new grounds for me.