Menu

Anyone know what to expect from tsunami in Santa Barbara Calif?

My son is in Santa Barbara in a hotel one block from the beach. We live many states away. I've tried calling the hotel and fire departments. They all are very unconcerned and unaware. Yet, Santa Barbara is being mentioned on the national news as a place that may be affected because it's low laying. Short of calling 911 the police department can't be reached. I don't know which of two hotels he's in and one doesn't answer the phone after hours. The other hotel doesn't have internet access and so the clerk said he doesn't know what's going on. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it. The fire department said FEMA would tell them what to do. As someone who has lived through two hurricanes, FEMA is no help whatsoever. If waiting on FEMA is their plan, there is no plan.

I'm concerned about flooding. If a 6 feet high wave hits the beach that could be 6 feet of water hitting the hotel. That's a lot to deal with.

:grouphug: I know that you are worried. I would imagine that if that area is going to be affected they will react like they have been in Hawaii - evacuating and moving to higher ground. I hope you hear from your son soon so you will feel more at ease.

Don't know if this helps, but the Santa Barbara geography is very different from the East Coast. I don't remember hotels right on the beach the way you get out here. I lived in Isla Vista on a street across from the beach and I wouldn't have worried about a tsunami - there were about 15' high cliffs to get to the beach.

Downtown, I can't remember anything that's not a good bit back from the beach (except for anything that's on the pier).

I lived in Santa Barbara in the early-mid 90s, so it has been a while, but based on my time then there, I don't think I'd be worrying right now if my son and husband were out there now.

:grouphug:

Hope you get reassuring news in a bit.