Menu

Need hotel recommendations ~ Stockton area

We're going to Stockton in 2 weeks to see dh's father and will be there for a couple of nights. It's been more than 10 yrs since the last time we were there and I have no idea where the good places to stay are. We don't have a ton of money but I'm will to spend a bit extra for a nice, clean, safe place.

I appreciate any recommendations anyone can make. Thank you! :D

I don't have any specific recommendations, but I have always found www.tripadvisor.com to have very helpful reviews. Before making any final decision, I run the hotel name through www.bedbugregistry.com, just in case. ;)

Thanks, I do plan to check the bedbug registry before we go down there. Thanks for the other link, I will check it out.

Any recommendations don't have to be exactly in Stockton, we're open to anywhere else that has good places that aren't too far away (Lodi, Tracy, Sacramento, etc).

You haven't been there in 10 years?

The only thing that I can say is that there is a woman on another board I frequent who lives in Stockton and from what she says, I think I'd stay elsewhere. She makes it sound pretty rough and unsafe.

I have never been there. I don't really *know* her. She wants to move badly.

We just finished a long trip and part of it was open-ended - i.e., we didn't make reservations until a few hours earlier in the day. I used tripadvisor each time to help pick a hotel -- much, much more helpful than the AAA guidebook. Be advised that some very good places will occasionally get a terrible review (probably from someone who was trying to get a refund by complaining loudly enough) -- look for consistency in reviews and discount the oddballs.

We stayed at a Residence Inn in Stockton last year (for a math competition) and the hotel was clean and the area seemed safe. That said, when my husband and son went out to get some food to bring back, they saw something they'd never seen before -- a dozen police cars (total) with officers out, weapons drawn, in two separate incidents across the street from each other in what looked like major shopping centers. This was several miles from the hotel; they were looking for Mexican food :001_smile: (my husband and son, not the policemen).

Oh, the hotel is Residence Inn on March Lane, Stockton. Seemed like a fine neighborhood, near a country club.

~Laura

You haven't been there in 10 years?

Dh has, but I haven't. My fil has been here to visit us several times since we moved, we live 1500 miles away now. We can't afford to travel down there as often as we'd like to, it's a 2 day trip by car and a plane ride is out of the question with the expense of the flight and rental car.:001_smile:

We just finished a long trip and part of it was open-ended - i.e., we didn't make reservations until a few hours earlier in the day. I used tripadvisor each time to help pick a hotel -- much, much more helpful than the AAA guidebook. Be advised that some very good places will occasionally get a terrible review (probably from someone who was trying to get a refund by complaining loudly enough) -- look for consistency in reviews and discount the oddballs.

Thank you!

We stayed at a Residence Inn in Stockton last year (for a math competition) and the hotel was clean and the area seemed safe. That said, when my husband and son went out to get some food to bring back, they saw something they'd never seen before -- a dozen police cars (total) with officers out, weapons drawn, in two separate incidents across the street from each other in what looked like major shopping centers. This was several miles from the hotel; they were looking for Mexican food :001_smile: (my husband and son, not the policemen).

Oh, the hotel is Residence Inn on March Lane, Stockton. Seemed like a fine neighborhood, near a country club.

~Laura

LOL, dh just said "sounds like Stockton". I will look into that hotel, thank you for your help. :)