Menu

Switching Math...Saxon to MM ?

Prairie

So it's ok to jump ship from one math program to another without finishing the first? Thinking of jumping from Saxon 7/6 to Mammoth. How would I find out where she would start in MM? And is there any 'review' in MM like there is in Saxon?

I'd switch no problem in the very early years, but at that age, I'd need a *really* good reason to switch. Is Saxon totally not working right now? Or is there something you could tweak to make it work? You're almost to pre-algebra stage, at which point you could just use any textbook program.

My son switched from Saxon to MM, but that was first grade. A big difference. :D

As far as review... MM does have review. It is NOT like Saxon though. Saxon is an incremental spiral program. You are doing a variety of problems every single day. MM is more of a mastery program (but not extreme mastery like MUS). You work on one basic topic per lesson, but it does throw in some review here and there. There are cumulative reviews at the end of each chapter (these reviews are in a separate pdf file), plus there are end-of-chapter tests and end-of-year tests. So an example using low level math topics (because that's where my child is)... One chapter might be addition/subtraction 0-100, another chapter might be time, another chapter might be money, and another chapter might be addition/subtraction 0-1000. There won't be time or money problems in the addition/subtraction chapters. You'd need to wait for the cumulative reviews for those. The 0-1000 chapter would have some review problems of 0-100, since the concepts build on each other, but again, it won't be anything like the spiral nature of Saxon.

Hope that helps!

I'd posted last week about her and Saxon. I tweaked her lessons this week and added flashcard review because she was making stupid 'basic' mistakes. I have a feeling though that she's heard me say, "I hate Saxon" enough to sort of brain wash her into not liking it herself. But she does have the same problem I do with it. When you need a clear explination, it doesn't give it.

For instance, she is on Lesson 75 in 7/6, practice set l, says write each decimal number as a percent. It lists several .25, .3, .05 and gives description or example on how to change those kinds but not whole numbers, like 1.0 .

She's the kind of girl that kind of 'needs it spelled out to her'.

That's why I'm looking for a different kind of math program. It is frustrating to always use a different book or look on the computer for a clearer explination.

It is out of my age-range experience, and not "online", but may people seem happy with the topically oriented "Key to" series that includes units like "Key to Decimals."

These have a good reputation for having succinct explanations by topic for that age group. But I have no first-hand experience using them.

Bill