Menu

Potter's Algebra I class

Any experience with this class?

I'm considering it for my son's Freshman year. (Fall)

He's taken MUS Pre-Algebra 3/4 of the book and now we are doing Key To Algebra books (hope to finish all this summer).

I don't know anything about "graphing calculators" so this course apparently teaches how to use one. But, I've never heard of the "Chigaco math" they are using, so I need advice. We would have likely just kept on going with MUS Algebra next year, but I'm thinking hard about changing to Potter's.

Tried it, hated it. Ds had finished the first half of Foerster's Algebra I, so I assumed he was well prepared for The Potter's School class. Bad assmuption. Because their whole sequence of classes uses the Chicago math program, it's really difficult to jump into. I also really hated the text, found it terribly confusing. We returned to Foerster's and continued on. We only made it through the first two weeks of class before both of us were completely lost.

If you decide to use the class and want the textbook cheap let me know. :-)

Tried it, hated it. Ds had finished the first half of Foerster's Algebra I, so I assumed he was well prepared for The Potter's School class. Bad assmuption. Because their whole sequence of classes uses the Chicago math program, it's really difficult to jump into. I also really hated the text, found it terribly confusing. We returned to Foerster's and continued on. We only made it through the first two weeks of class before both of us were completely lost.

If you decide to use the class and want the textbook cheap let me know. :-)

Thanks for this "inside" information. I was afraid of that. mmmmm.

That really helps me make the decision. Doesn't seem like that would work for us either. Think we'll skip it too.