Menu

Word Problems

FairProspects

When we encounter word problems in 1st grade math, is the child supposed to be solving those themselves in their head? Does it matter if they use manipulatives or number bonds or part/whole circles to find the answer? RS sometimes tells you to use the abacus, MM just has them as part of the text and I have no idea what the intention is.

Ds generally looks stunned when I read him word problems and doesn't know where to start organizing the material. FWIW, he is a learner that needs absolutely everything taught explicitly. He can usually solve the problem if the two parts are included and you are finding the whole, but if one of the numbers is the total and the other a part, forget about it. Suggestions about how to better teach this skill?

Came across a graphic organizer(see download) it might be something to look into, source Comprehending Math by Hyde.

K- what do I know?

W- what do I want?

C- special conditions or rules/tricks?

The larger bottom row has room to show how problem was solved, draw, numbers, words etc. Also room for what was tried but problem has not been solved- an area to 'reflect'.

post-3740-13535084537559_thumb.jpg

post-3740-13535084537559_thumb.jpg

I would suggest writing down each step of info as it is presented in the word problem, then forming an equation. In MM, you'd have to decide if it's a straightforward adddition/subtraction equation, or a missing addend problem. And then solve. And/Or drawing it out as it is read (or perhaps with manipulatives instead).

:iagree:We use MM and I personally don't see a problem with using manipulatives too, particularly until they get the idea of what's happening. I'd just choose what works for your child.