Menu

Science for 5th grade: BJU vs Lifepac

BJU is super high quality and Lifepacs are....umm....Yuksville!

BJU has daily lessons all laid out for you, and experiment kits are available from Home Science Tools! If you aren't too sciency, I recommend getting the kit to save the hassle of gathering materials.

HTH!

designed for a whole year, rather than just a semester. The newest editions are gorgeous. The older ones are serviceable, but look dated.

I should also point out that BJU science is teacher-driven, and not something you can just hand to a child.

HTH!

So how much help does a teacher need? I'm not great at science but I can at least read a manuel! I plan on getting the teach. book but will I also need the teach. act. man. or will I be able to figure most of that out?

All the help you need is in the TM. THe lessons are easy to follow, and we pretty much follow then as written. I would get the Student Text, Teacher's Manual, and Notebook pages. We never used the tests or other stuff. What WAS nice is the experiment kit from Home Science Tools!

BJU Science is easy to teach in the elementary grades. Just wanted you to know that more than half the program is in the teacher's manual, and so you Do need to actually teach it. You can also combine several children if you need to.

HTH!

Thanks for all the good info. I actually do teach my (will be) 4th & 5th grade boys, science together at the older level (the younger could actually teach me a thing or two about most any subject in science). My dd will be starting K this year & I would like to try to include her in some of the stuff. That should be rather interesting! I havent ordered any books yet so how do you know what you need in this "kit". We, err.. my son, has some science/experiment stuff so I may not need everything.