Menu

Has anyone used Learning to Spell Through Copywork

jedbel

I have this on my self but have not actually used it. It would be good for 1st/2nd grade level. Each week there is a list of words which the student copies and then each day there is a sentence to be copied. You also quiz the student on the words orally each day. I would think it would be very effective. I plan to start it soon with my 1st grader. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

I haven't used that particular program, but that is how I teach spelling. My dd maintains a copybook that includes all of her copywork, spelling exercises, punctuation, and such. She loves it! Sometimes I'll have her copy a Mother Goose nursery rhyme into her copybook on Monday. She then carefully studies it for a few minutes. Then, on Tuesday I will dictate the same rhyme to her. She is expected to write it w/ correct punctuation and spelling. Then, she checks her own work by comparing it to the model that I've written. On Wednesday we'll study each word and discuss the reason they're spelled the way they are. On Thursday she will come up with other words that follow the same spelling pattern.

There are numerous ways you can do it, but I think copywork is a fabulous way to teach spelling. I don't think it's very productive though if the child just copies it without being expected to really study it.

HTH!