Menu

Anatomy--Sonlight or Apologia?

:lurk5: We are deciding the same thing. I will have a 6th grader, 5th grader, and 3rd grader. I'm leaning towards Apologia right now b/c I like the looks of the notebooking. I've also picked out some games and books for the youngest to go along with it. I'd like to hear what others have to say though :001_smile:

I'm using the Apologia book in a coop class this year. I'm getting great feedback from the parents and the kids seem to really like it, too. Having used Apologia with and without the notebooks, I have to say using the notebooks is a big plus.

I haven't looked into this myself but one family in our coop ordered the notebook and got a "junior" edition by mistake. I didn't know it even existed or where they ordered from, but it looked great for younger siblings.

My students are 4th-6th grade and they're doing well.

I haven't looked into this myself but one family in our coop ordered the notebook and got a "junior" edition by mistake. I didn't know it even existed or where they ordered from, but it looked great for younger siblings.

Yes this is one of the things I'm excited about. My two older girls can use the regular notebook and I'll get the junior one for my 3rd grader. I have only seen it at christian book distributors online.

My middle son did the Sonlight version last year at age 11 -- he loved it. He did the SL workpages along with it.

My next son did the Guest Hollow version last year at age 6-7. He says he is going to be a scientist when he grows up. This year he wanted to start off with more of the human body, so I bought him the Apologia book. He likes the book a lot and the experiments are interesting. I think the notebooking book is a little -- well, boring for a 7-year-old. Some copywork, word searches, copy a fact here and there, fold a booklet. The plastic body cut-out seemed worth the price of the notebook and that is about all he used. I am thinking of ordering the Jr. Notebook for my son to use as an end of the year review of his studies.

In comparing the programs, I do not think the Apologia books are worthy of upper elementary school, but that is just me. If science has been sparse for your son so far, then maybe you would think differently! In any case, I would highly recommend the Sonlight program. It is very full and totally interesting. Apologia is just 1 book. Sonlight is 11 books if you do the 5-day program, plus a DVD. But Apologia is affordable by anyone and Sonlight, well, it's a little on the spendy side.

I've had 4 kids so far do the Sonlight program for human body -- it's been a winner here. ;)