Menu

I bought the flash cards for English from the Roots Up, now what?

helena

I bought volume 1, and they're exactly what I expected. I'm very excited to use them.

How do I use them? :001_huh:

Should I have the girls copy them, and make their own set? I don't want anything too time consuming, though I can fit it in everyday. A Latin and Greek journal, just easy drilling?? Any ideas?

:bigear:

My oldest used these around ages 13/14. For volume 1, I purchased Cindy Ruston's notebooking pages. They are basically the index card put onto a page to print out. She then copied the root and the words that went with it. She learns easily, so I didn't do much else. Eventually, I found some links for quiz type lessons for the guide. This was two computer's ago, so I can't locate the links right now. I might have found them on this forum or doing a google search. There are all sorts of quizes, ways to print out the index cards, etc online.

For volume II, she used index cards. We used the type that are spiraled on top. It was nice to keep them together.

With younger children, I would probably use the notebook type pages. They really are nothing special, just a box colored like the flash cards, and lines to write your words on.

Enjoy!

Sometime ago, I posted some links to free and cheap notebooking pages.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the links I had posted. The free notebooking pages are not longer available :-( However, I had downloaded them earlier and (just as the pp said) they are nothing more than a big coloured box at the top for the root, followed by a few lines to write the meaning, the derivations and sentences using the derived words. I found these two reviews of EFTRU where the reviewers mentioned their methods of learning/drilling the roots.

HTH

Edited by nansk

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread to add two links I found today.

Word Searches and Crossword puzzles for EFTRU 1: link. These are MS Word documents.

This link has what the writer called a worksheet, but I see as a detailed notebooking page. See page 7.

Also, the EFTRU author/publisher has provided these online activities.

Edited by nansk

Word Searches and Crossword puzzles for EFTRU 1: link. These are MS Word documents.

This link has what the writer called a worksheet, but I see as a detailed notebooking page. See page 7.

Thank you for the links!

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

You are AWESOME!!!! Thank you for coming back with these links!

(The last one doesn't seem to be working)

• 3 months later...