Menu

Recommendations for beginning piano lessons

Robin M

We've acquired a yamaha keyboard and I'm in the process of checking out beginning music lessons. I took lessons way back when so will learning right along with james. Any recommendations for a good book or music program to start with. Not interested in going with piano teacher right now until I know James is actually interested and not just something else to do.

Piano Adventures and Alfred's Premier Piano Course both are simple, direct and have Audio CD's to aid in listening to and playing along with music. These are what I use when I give lessons. For the VERY young I begin with Music for little Mozarts (and Alfred's Publication) and for children your sons age the previously two mentioned. I'm not one who's good a choosing between things, I own both and like them equally. Hope that helps.

I like the Fabers, too. They (Piano Adventures) focus on technique and artistry. I also like Bastien. Having a variety of music books is good. It not only provides variety for the student, but the different books emphasize different things and the variety will make the student more well-rounded.