Menu

Need natural toner for acne "homemade" recipe that is similar to Burt's Bees toner...

I have been buying Burt's Bees toner for my almost 12 yo dd for her acne. She follows the process of: using scrub, rinse with water, apply toner which is offically called "Target Spot Treatment"....(liquid toner).

However, the little 0.26 oz of this toner is $10.00 a pop and doesn't last long. It does have Salicylic Acid from Willow Bark in it.

Do you have any "recipes" for making this homemade "natural" toner"? Would I still use the Salicylic Acid? Would I use other ingredients as well. I'd love for it to be as natural as possible.

BB's has worked well for her, but it's expensive. They have another similar acne treatment but it's diluted and doesn't work as well.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

It's not homemade, but I usually buy facial cleanser and toner from Aubrey. It's about $10 for 8 oz. of toner and lasts me at least 6 months, the cleanser and moisturizer have lasted me a year.

Anyways, I ran out of it last week and did make my own.

The recipe was:

8 oz. water.

6 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar

1 tsp. comfry

1 tsp. plantain

1 tsp. chickweed

1 tbsp. dried lavender and rose petals

1 vitamin E capsule

drop of lavender essential oil

I made a tea with the dried herbs and water, strained them and put them in a container, added the apple cider vinegar, vitamin E and essential oil, and that was it. You wouldn't have to put all of those herbs in if you didn't want to, but they are all very healing and that is god for acne. The apple cider, too, helps to clear your face up. The lavender oil was mostly to give it a nice scent.

It's not homemade, but I usually buy facial cleanser and toner from Aubrey. It's about $10 for 8 oz. of toner and lasts me at least 6 months, the cleanser and moisturizer have lasted me a year.

Anyways, I ran out of it last week and did make my own.

The recipe was:

8 oz. water.

6 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar

1 tsp. comfry

1 tsp. plantain

1 tsp. chickweed

1 tbsp. dried lavender and rose petals

1 vitamin E capsule

drop of lavender essential oil

I made a tea with the dried herbs and water, strained them and put them in a container, added the apple cider vinegar, vitamin E and essential oil, and that was it. You wouldn't have to put all of those herbs in if you didn't want to, but they are all very healing and that is god for acne. The apple cider, too, helps to clear your face up. The lavender oil was mostly to give it a nice scent.

Thanks for that. Yep, I'd use as many of the herbs that I could. Do you know where I can buy the Salicylic Acid "liquid" from willow bark?

I don't know. I've never used it. We get our herbs from here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

They have willow bark in different forms. Could you buy it as an herb and make a tea with the other herbs?

Here's another good place to get them: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/

I also thought I should add that using 6 tsp. of apple cider vinegar worked for me, but you might want to experiment as she may need it to be stronger. I'm older and although I have breakouts, I don't have acne anymore. The apple cider vinegar restores ph balance, and clears the face. It also helps with acne scars.