Menu

Lightning Lit or CLE for middle school reading/lit?

Love2Smile

You may wish to post under the Logic Stage sub-forum, too.

I tried CLE Reading 100/300 but we found the stories too religious for us.

I used LL7 for my son last year. It was not what I expected having seen the samples. WAY too much busy work for not enough 'meat'. Only one writing assignment is scheduled for each chapter. Overall, he was bored.

Excellence in Literature is another option. As is Mosdos Press or Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. The last says high school but can be done at a slower pace by late middle schooler.

HTH!

You may wish to post under the Logic Stage sub-forum, too.

I tried CLE Reading 100/300 but we found the stories too religious for us.

I used LL7 for my son last year. It was not what I expected having seen the samples. WAY too much busy work for not enough 'meat'. Only one writing assignment is scheduled for each chapter. Overall, he was bored.

Excellence in Literature is another option. As is Mosdos Press or Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. The last says high school but can be done at a slower pace by late middle schooler.

HTH!

What kind of busy work did LL7 have? She has a seperate writing program so I'm not too concerned about writing. I'd like something that teaches the basic lit terms etc.. And yeah, I can see how CLE might be overly religious for us too.

I did not feel there was much work with literary terms at all. Perhaps as one moves up in the series, she covers more. Maybe a page here and there and a discussion. The rest was things like grammar terms, writing from notes, crossword puzzles...