Menu

Need ideas - Great Books Ancients

Here's the scenario:

Your students have read the Iliad, Herodotus' Histories, and the Oresteia. So, that's a good bit of Greece, but no Rome.

You've been moving slowly, perhaps thinking that if it took you more than one year to read ancients, so be it.

But now, you've changed your mind and want/need to be finished with ancients by the end of this year, say, in 16 weeks.

What would you do? What else would you read?

The students have an interest in Livy, Marcus Aurelius, and perhaps Plato. The teacher has an interest in Plato. We plan to read the Aeneid sometime later, as a part of Latin class (though read in English translation as well).

And, would you read The Republic? All, or parts? If parts, which parts? Or would you stick to the dialogues, in the interest of time?

I was up late prepping for co-op and realized that I forgot to answer you. We did The Republic, but the results were somewhat mixed. It was hard for them to understand, but it did lead to some great discussions. One student threatened to burn her book because she was so upset over the education of the Guardians and the communal marriage, but I think she did come to realize that it was just one man's proposal. I'm leaning toward not reading it with my son when he gets there, but I may change my mind. If your students have never read the dialogues, then I would read them instead, especially Apology. They are shorter and more accessable. Reading part of The Republic might work as well. I will try to get my notes out so I can refer to chapter numbers of the best chapters to read. I hate trying to decide what to leave out. I'm facing that this week with the Federalist Papers. I was worried that you would skip the Aeneid, but I see that that isn't the case. Marcus Aurelius is interesting, from what little I have read. We skipped many of the Roman writers as well, due to time constraints that year. Homer's brilliance took a lot of time! I comforted myself with the fact that dd would read many of them in Latin classes over the years.Good luck! I'm thinking about starting Great Books in 8th with my son, so we have two years for ancients. I think an 8th grade boy will love the Illiad.

You know, that is a good point - they *will* read more Roman authors, if they stick with Latin. That makes me feel better.

I do think an 8th grade boy will love the Iliad :) I really like the idea of two years for ancients.

Thanks for your input! I think we'll read the allegory of the cave, at least ... but I enjoy Plato's dialogs.

Another idea is to separate out Rome from the ancients, and just start year two with Rome and continue on with world history.

That's a good idea! I'm in a similar position and like this advice :001_smile:

For the OP, I would suggest reading The Republic. The ideas presented in it are so woven into our world today - the ideas are referenced in other writings and can be seen in political though todayt. I did this with my older boys using TheGreatBooks.com study guide. He goes through it in about 3 weeks. I think it is a foundational work.

That's a good idea! I'm in a similar position and like this advice :001_smile:

For the OP, I would suggest reading The Republic. The ideas presented in it are so woven into our world today - the ideas are referenced in other writings and can be seen in political though todayt. I did this with my older boys using TheGreatBooks.com study guide. He goes through it in about 3 weeks. I think it is a foundational work.

Three weeks? Really? That seems like a lot to pack into three weeks.