Menu

Singapore Math and addition strategies...when?

truebluexf

I used RS with DS, but DD1 wanted workbooks so I mostly switched to SM (I had started DS with SM this year, in 2B and now 3A). I only however got DD the Primary 1A workbook, thinking it would be fun on the side, but she does really like the format. However, I have text 1B, and I don't see where they learn addition strategies? Is it in the 1a text? I just want to know if I need to switch back to RS B for a while to learn the strategies or if it's going to happen later? Thanks!

I used RS with DS, but DD1 wanted workbooks so I mostly switched to SM (I had started DS with SM this year, in 2B and now 3A). I only however got DD the Primary 1A workbook, thinking it would be fun on the side, but she does really like the format. However, I have text 1B, and I don't see where they learn addition strategies? Is it in the 1a text? I just want to know if I need to switch back to RS B for a while to learn the strategies or if it's going to happen later? Thanks!

Singapore really only uses the base 10 method. It doesn't directly teach the other strategies. It works with patterns so many kids will make the logical leaps on their own, but Singapore really doesn't try to teach them.

Heather