Menu

Question for Saxon Users

carrie_irene

My son in technically in kinder this year....and flying through Saxon 1. He does 6-8 lessons a week and seems to have both his daddy and mommy's love for math. We should finish Saxon 1 in about 8 weeks or so. We plan on schooling through June, taking July and August off for travel, and then resume at the end of August. At this point, I am not looking to do a different curriculum, I like how he is interacting with Saxon.

My question: I have heard from some that Saxon 2 is very repetitive. Should I skip Saxon 2? My concern is that he is young...he does love math...and I want to keep it that way! BUT....I don't want him to be bored.

I am considering starting Saxon 2 in 9ish weeks, probably enabling me to skip quite a few lessons at the beginning for review, and see if we can continue to to do 6-8 lessons a week and still finish Saxon 3 by the end of NEXT year.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

Carrie

So you are saying skip Saxon 2 and go into Saxon 3 as a K'er? Here's my caution. We are in Saxon 2 w/ my son as a K'er, so I'm all for going at the pace they are at. But, I am/was very concerned about him reaching the middle years (5/4, 7/6, etc.) too quickly. The format changes and I think the writing will be a lot for them. I've heard a lot of people say that you can skip Saxon 2 (we actually skipped 1), but in your (and my) case, I wouldn't. I am excited to hear that Saxon is coming out with an Intermediate level 3, so we'll probably go through that before hitting 5/4. In our homeschool, I try and consider where they are going, not just the present - would I rather slow down and master the facts as we go along or slow down later when they are frustrated?

That's just my novice $.02.

ETA: Oh, I just read that you said not start this until the end of summer. Well, take what I said with a grain of salt then; we'll be starting Saxon 3 in the fall. :)

My question: I have heard from some that Saxon 2 is very repetitive. Should I skip Saxon 2? My concern is that he is young...he does love math...and I want to keep it that way! BUT....I don't want him to be bored. No, modify the lessons if necessary but don't skip Saxon 2. It introduces some concepts much more gently than they are introduced in Saxon 3. Also, your milage may vary, my young dc have a short fuse for frustration in school. I prefer to keep my young kids working at a level that is 80 percent review and 20 percent new material. It's confidence building, not tear producing. ;)

I am considering starting Saxon 2 in 9ish weeks, probably enabling me to skip quite a few lessons at the beginning for review, and see if we can continue to to do 6-8 lessons a week and still finish Saxon 3 by the end of NEXT year.

I think this is the wisest course rather than skipping Saxon 2.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

Carrie

:001_smile: