Menu

Quick question about MM 1A

desertmum

I got this from the MM website:

"Please see below a list of objectives and goals for kindergarten math:

• To count by rote at least to 20, but preferably a little beyond.
  • The concepts of equality, more, and less
  • To count backwards from 10 to 0.
  • To recognize numbers
  • To be able to write numbers
  • To recognize basic shapes
  • to understand up, down, under, near, on the side, etc. (basic directions)
  • To have a very basic idea of addition and subtraction
  • It also helps to expose the student to two-digit numbers."

We are using MEP reception which covers the above. As a matter of fact we have done 80% of the above. We haven't followed the lessons religiously (I talked about it in a previous post). DS is a very wriggly 4.5 yo.

I am trying to decide on what to do next year and I am looking at MM. Can I or should I use MM 1A for a 5yo (US kindergarten -UK year 1)? Any thoughts? :bigear:

My just turned five year old DD is about 3/4 the way thru MM1A and has not had any problems.

I know some people said it was too much on a page or not enough room to wirte, but we haven't had trouble with that

My daughter did Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten before this...

My dd5 (K5) did the YR rather quickly and has made it half way through Y1 of MEP. We've put the brakes on MEP as we're switching math within the next weeks and we're just focusing on some math workbooks that will review somethings before the switch takes over....and I've printed off all the sample worksheets for MM1A and she completed ALL of them in one sitting (100% her choice)...so I think when we switch to MM in the coming weeks we'll pop right into MM1B with her. And when she begins 1st grade next year we'll move right into MM2A (unless she needs extra review and needs to go back over 1B, but I don't see that with her.)

So I'd suggest either trying Y1 with MEP or print out the sample worksheets with MM1A

My dd5 (K5) did the YR rather quickly and has made it half way through Y1 of MEP. We've put the brakes on MEP as we're switching math within the next weeks and we're just focusing on some math workbooks that will review somethings before the switch takes over....and I've printed off all the sample worksheets for MM1A and she completed ALL of them in one sitting (100% her choice)...so I think when we switch to MM in the coming weeks we'll pop right into MM1B with her. And when she begins 1st grade next year we'll move right into MM2A (unless she needs extra review and needs to go back over 1B, but I don't see that with her.)

So I'd suggest either trying Y1 with MEP or print out the sample worksheets with MM1A

Thanks. It is always best to hear from people who've "been there, done that." I know MEP is a spiral program and I think ds really needs some mastery now. :001_smile: