Menu

Great Books (Junior Great Books) Question

My kids participate in Jr. Great Books, but in a group (homeschooling) setting. I'm sure you could read the stories and discuss with your children, but I think it's meant more for groups, particularly as the kids get older. My 5 year old is in a group for K-2, and honestly, I don't think it would matter if we just did it together instead (but she likes being with her friends, and it's the same time as my older child is meeting, so she goes). I think my 9 year old gets much more out of the group discussion (approx. 3rd-5th grade I think) and I'm glad the group is available for that.

For K-2 kids, I'd just buy a level (sun level, etc... of 3 books) and that would work. For 3rd-5th, the person running the group has an instructor's guide and the kids have the reader and journal books (same with the older kids who are in a group together, 6th +).

Edited by 5Wizards

My kids participate in Jr. Great Books, but in a group (homeschooling) setting. I'm sure you could read the stories and discuss with your children, but I think it's meant more for groups, particularly as the kids get older.

We did JGB in a group in 3rd-5th grade, and what the kids really got out of it was the give-and-take of discussing. Part of that was the focus on marking up your text to prepare for the discussion, which of course you could do on your own, but a huge part of it was their realizations that they weren't looking for "right" answers, but rather "supporting evidence", and that two different people will invariably come up with two different approaches to the same text, and that both have validity provided they are well supported by that text. That was a huge thing, and in the book groups we have had in the years since, it has been really obvious which kids had that background and which didn't.

It can be a pain to get a group together... but I'm not exaggerating when I say it was very nearly the most worthwhile thing we have done since we started homeschooling.