Menu

Considering a switch from packaged curriculum

We have done K12 with my 8th grader for 1 1/2 years now, and the curriculum is good for the most part but we are going away from it for high school, just because it is a charter school option and has gotten WAY too structured for our tastes. This is our first experience with home schooling by the way.

We are looking into another "packaged program" for 9th grade and seeing how it works, but in the back of my mind I am considering going it alone.

My problem is my kiddo is not really very "driven" at this point. He kind of has to be drug. I have been reading WTM and trying to figure things out but I just feel kind of lost! What could anyone suggest for someone starting at this level? Am I going to be getting in way over my head? He is not a great reader, but we are working on that and have him enrolled in Compass Learning Odyssey program now. My real concern is that my younger one is extremely high achieving and I want to really push him when he is at the high school level so I want to have this figured out in the next couple years.

The bonus with the packaged programs here though, in Colorado, especially the one we are looking at for next year (GOALS academy) is that they do concurrent enrollment with junior college and after a 5 year "high school" program they graduate with an associate degree AND and high school diploma, at no cost to me!

I haven't btdt, but I do have an 8th grader. We've never used a completely structured program, but we have used single classes from k12.

I'd just think about the core subjects you need to teach, which are: Math, English, Science, History, and a Language.

I'd start out by trying to determine how you want to approach English because other subjects, particularly History, are impacted by what you choose to do there. English is broken down into sub-categories (grammar, composition, literature and maybe vocabulary). The TWTM recommends the great books starting in 9th grade. If your ds is not reading at or above grade level (because the great books would be considered above grade level for most ps 9th graders) then you probably don't want to jump into that level of reading. I'd suggest choosing grade and age appropriate texts written at a less rigorous level. I'd suggest getting together a reading list based upon the history cycle you intend on studying. For example, you may want to start by studying the Ancients (as TWTM recommends for 9th grade), but instead of using great books, put together a list of books that covers the same material but written at a more approachable level. Once you have a list of 10-15 books, you can either choose to read them yourself and engage in discussions with your ds about them, or you can cheat a little and get study guides. Either way - or a little of both is fine. Do what works for you.

Another way to approach literature, instead of a reading list corresponding to the history cycle, is a pre-planned program like Lightning Literture or a combined History/Literature program like Sonlight.

You really do have many options.

HTH, Stacy