Menu

Skip counting in RS

Celia

Quick question!

At what level does Right Start teach skip counting, other than by 2,5 and 10.

Thanks!

I don't remember which level has which numbers, but it starts in B and goes through C. I think D also has some.

Generally they start working with them in order by skip counting, then they start working with them as multiplication problems, then they continue with them as multiplication problems, but go out of order. With the games to reinforce it, it really works well. :D

Heather

Hmmm... I don't think I'd go as far as saying that RS C has lots of it (were currently on lesson 65 of 150), but it has done a bit more than just dabble with skip counting... it's introduced/covered in a few lessons, but has mainly been reviewed/practiced during the daily warm-ups and card games. The skip counting eventually leads into saying the entire multiplication facts (2 x 1 = 2, 2 x 2 = 4, . . . , 2 x 10 = 20, etc.).

As much as we love RS here, I can honestly say that doing our CC skip counting memory work along side Level C has been a huge compliment to the RS skip counting thus far.

HTH!

:001_smile: Melissa

Hmmm... I don't think I'd go as far as saying that RS C has lots of it (were currently on lesson 65 of 150), but it has done a bit more than just dabble with skip counting... it's introduced/covered in a few lessons, but has mainly been reviewed/practiced during the daily warm-ups and card games. The skip counting eventually leads into saying the entire multiplication facts (2 x 1 = 2, 2 x 2 = 4, . . . , 2 x 10 = 20, etc.).

As much as we love RS here, I can honestly say that doing our CC skip counting memory work along side Level C has been a huge compliment to the RS skip counting thus far.

HTH!

Compared to CC is might not be as intense, but given many math programs don't cover it at all, and RS covers it daily in the warm-ups and into the games it covers it a lot. :D

Heather

Compared to CC is might not be as intense, but given many math programs don't cover it at all, and RS covers it daily in the warm-ups and into the games it covers it a lot. :D

Heather

I'm not familiar with the way other math programs cover skip counting, if at all. I guess in my opinion, I would consider a program to cover any given concept a lot if I didn't feel the need to review/practice said concept (i.e., skip counting) beyond what the program offers/schedules in order to fully teach/cover that concept. Others may feel differently than I, especially if their dc are at a different age or ability level than my little man is when covering these math concepts... again, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Although CC may be intense compared to what is offered in other math programs, I can honestly say that I'd feel the need to cover skip counting more in depth than what RS schedules/recommends in their lesson plans... CC's memory work just happened to offer that added bonus for us. :D

Melissa

I guess I should clarify. By "lots of skip counting" I mean that RightStart C has skip counting for all the digits 1-10, not just 2, 5, and 10. It also includes games for practicing skip counting. It also has skip counting on review sheets. However, you are expected to play the games more often than just when it explicitly tells you to.

I guess I should clarify. By "lots of skip counting" I mean that RightStart C has skip counting for all the digits 1-10, not just 2, 5, and 10. It also includes games for practicing skip counting. It also has skip counting on review sheets. However, you are expected to play the games more often than just when it explicitly tells you to.

LOL... or perhaps I should do a better job of clarifying that my perception of "a lot", in this matter, was to a great degree or extent (as in-depth), not necessarily a large number of times. Clear as mud?