Menu

Math on the Level

pamjk

More questions today.....

I know this is a relatively new program, but I'm hoping someone here is using this and can comment. It looks like a very logical approach to math that may make more sense to ds. He doesn't seem to be *understanding and internalizing* the math concepts, just going thru the motions and forgetting each topic as we move on to others. This may be common at this age, but I was hoping that basic operations especially would be more automatic by now.

I did join the MOTL yahoogroup, but it's new with few members at this point.

I was having the same problem with my youngest. I attended several of seminars by Dianne Craft and they were amazing. It describes all the issues I have been having with my little dd. I bought math cards by Dianne Craft, and I am looking into purchasing one of the math programs she recommends either Touch Math or Cloud Nine.

I looked at the program you mentioned looks a little like a "right brained" program. Good Luck!

I will Google Dianne Craft and the other maths you mentioned. Yes, I agree that Math on the Level seems very right-brained. That's why it seems perfect for my right-brained son. My fear is that this left-brained mom won't be able to adjust to that style. :)

Thanks for your input!

More questions today.....

I know this is a relatively new program, but I'm hoping someone here is using this and can comment. It looks like a very logical approach to math that may make more sense to ds. He doesn't seem to be *understanding and internalizing* the math concepts, just going thru the motions and forgetting each topic as we move on to others. This may be common at this age, but I was hoping that basic operations especially would be more automatic by now.

I did join the MOTL yahoogroup, but it's new with few members at this point.

Hello, I wasn't clear from your message exactly what you want to know. I do not use the problem , but the creators of this program were at a convention I attended a few weeks ago and I spent about 45 minutes talking to the husband and wife. I was EXTREMEly impressed, although I was not in any way looking to switch math programs whenI went. I just stopped at their booth because I needed them to punch my card for the drawing! The program does only go up to the 8th grade, but it is all inclusive--meaning the books you purchase work for k-8th grade..I thought they were very well laid out and I loved the conept of going from real life application/learning to paper and pencil after instead of the other way around...and their idea for retention was great.. I would be glad to answer any specific questions if I can , although, again, I have not used the program--but I have recommended it to 2 friends--1 with a learning challenged son and one who is just starting ot in k...

Thanks for your input, A.H.! Can you tell me more about the learning challenged child who you recommended it for? That may help because my son is 11 yo but struggling thru 4th grade math. He has always been a bit delayed academically, due to speech and hearing issues as a toddler.

We have used many math programs over the years, which was a mistake. I'm afraid that switching yet again may just confuse matters and cause him to fall even further behind.

One thing, since you've seen it, what was your impression of the system of 5-a-day and the lessons in general? My concern is that it will be very time consuming to implement, requiring much prep work for each lesson etc.

Thanks again-

My fear is that this left-brained mom won't be able to adjust to that style. :)

That's seems like the hardest part:001_huh:. I am "left brained" and I have found the hardest part is letting her color, doodle & talk through school work. She retains so much more when I let her. The math cards for the multiplication are amazing from Dianne Craft, they have a story on the back with the numbers embedded into a picture so the kids can do what they do best, think in pictures! It was also very helpful to know that the intelligence of a "right brain" thinker is not measured by standardized testing, they actually do much better with an IQ test administered by a qualified proctor. On average "right brain" thinkers tend to score higher on IQ test than " left brain" thinkers ( I won't tell her older sister that though). Albert Einstein was a right brainer!

Well, I wish you luck in morphing your teaching style for your "right brainer" ;)

I am sure you'll do fine....

although I still cringe when she doodle's on her page :001_unsure: