Menu

Science Fair Project

There is going to be a science fair at Boo's school. Her first grade will be doing class project (it is required for K-3 todo class projects and 4-5 to do individual projects.) But it is also optional for K-3 to do individual projects (done at home), which Boo wants to do (her favorite subject is science), and we thought it would be great start doing them in 1-3 as test runs for 4th and 5th.

So we got the guideline paperwork and the board (Everything needs to be on this "board". it's more like cardstock and I'm really not sure how it's going to hold anything - it doesn't even stand up on it's own). :confused:

The paperwork gives us ideas, but not how to do the project (it's also says to use the child's imagination and interests as ideas). So I started surfing the net and found sciencebuddies.com and had Boo take their quiz to find projects that match her interests and her age level. We went over the resulting projects and she like this one:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Zoo_p012.shtml

My question is does this seem feasible for a first grader? She like the idea of working with m&m's (though she was disappointed that she couldn't be a test subject and eat the m&m's) and she's makes a link from the project to the chameleon Pascal in Tangled.

My other question is, as a parent, can I talk her through each step (as long as she does what is needed.) and talk her through the questions she needs to answer - or is that too much involvement?

After the issue with helping her story based on her spelling words, I'm trying to find that line, between helping and helping too much.

Any BTDT advice would be most welcomed! TIA!

Edited by piraterose

There is going to be a science fair at Boo's school. Her first grade will be doing class project (it is required for K-3 todo class projects and 4-5 to do individual projects.) But it is also optional for K-3 to do individual projects (done at home), which Boo wants to do (her favorite subject is science), and we thought it would be great start doing them in 1-3 as test runs for 4th and 5th.

So we got the guideline paperwork and the board (Everything needs to be on this "board". it's more like cardstock and I'm really not sure how it's going to hold anything - it doesn't even stand up on it's own). :confused:

The paperwork gives us ideas, but not how to do the project (it's also says to use the child's imagination and interests as ideas). So I started surfing the net and found sciencebuddies.com and had Boo take their quiz to find projects that match her interests and her age level. We went over the resulting projects and she like this one:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Zoo_p012.shtml

My question is does this seem feasible for a first grader? She like the idea of working with m&m's (though she was disappointed that she couldn't be a test subject and eat the m&m's) and she's makes a link from the project to the chameleon Pascal in Tangled.

My other question is, as a parent, can I talk her through each step (as long as she does what is needed.) and talk her through the questions she needs to answer - or is that too much involvement?

After the issue with helping her story based on her spelling words, I'm trying to find that line, between helping and helping too much.

So I'll just give you the link -- I promise I'll come back later :) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29693#poststop <--this is something I posted ages ago, copying something I posted even a little longer ago (the old boards!) about how much help I think is reasonble from parents.

I also tagged this post with "science fair" so you can see what else is already up. But I'll still come back when I have time to chat. I love science fair projects! :)

I think what I wrote in the other post (linked above) is all I can think of for how much parental help is appropriate... But I wanted to say something about using project sites/ books... There's nothing wrong with using a list of ideas for inspiration, or if you really have no idea what you want to to. However... I would always always always at least "tweak" the project. With the M&M project for instance, you're only dealing with color... what else could she think of to test? Light? texture? size? movement? What about it strikes her interest (other than the potential for yummy M&Ms... LOL) and how can she follow that?

The very best thing about science fair projects, in my opinion, is that they give kids opportunities for following up questions they come up with themselves. It doesn't mean that you have to keep them away from any influence, but that one hopes the lists of topics, or suggestions from parents (I'm still waiting for DS to build me a bathroom-cleaning robot! LOL), or whatever else they go to for ideas... will spark an idea of their own. Some of the coolest projects come from some of the weirdest questions!