Menu

Service hours/requirements?

One of our focuses in homeschooling/parenting our children is serving others. Honestly, I value it above academics (although I do try to have some high academic standards as well). My oldest dd has participated in a National Homeschool Honor Society this year. In my opinion, their offerings & requirements have been pretty slack this year. They had their induction ceremony, two meetings with a "motivational" speaker, and then two group service projects. They are required to meet certain testing requirements in order to be eligible and have to complete a minimum of 10 service hours per semester. I hardly find that to be "honor" worthy. As a family, we each do more than 10 hours of service projects per MONTH, let alone in a semester. So, it got me thinking: if you have service requirements of your homeschooled children (particularly middle-high school aged), what are your requirements? Do you have a certain number of hours that you require them to be involved in service projects?