Menu

Does anyone know of any other????

Does anyone know of any other DVD programs besides Abeka and Bob Jones that is cheaper? I Have looked into both of them and they seem to be pretty good but I am on a very fixed income and I am just not sure that I can spend that much for curriculum. I will spend the money if I have to but I am afraid that I will spend that money and my daughter will not like it or it will be to hard for her and then I would just be stuck with it. I am thinking about doing the Math U See for next year because there is a teaching DVD that comes with it and really the only other subject that she needs the DVD teaching program with is English because I am horrible at English and I have a hard time teaching it to her. Maybe I will just do 1 subject in the Abeka DVD program with her if I dont find a dvd program that is cheaper. Thanks in Advance for everyones help.... Also my daughter will be in the 8th grade.

thanks for letting me know. I am looking for something that she can understand. I have tried several ways to help her and to teach her math but for some reason she just cannot remember what she learns. I am so very surprised that she did not learn more than what she did in public school. I thought I was sending her so she could learn but I have found that she does not know alot of what she should. She is in 7th grade and can hardly do subtraction. I have been homeschooling her now since October of last year. and have tried and tried to help her learn her subtraction and multiplication and it is just so very hard for her for some reason. She gets so frustrated when she cant get a problem right and she cries. I tried Teaching textbook with her and she liked it at first until it got into multiplication and then she got to where she didnt want to do it. This morning she was doing a lesson in the teaching textbook 7 and she got a problem wrong and went all to pieces so I told her not to do the math in the TT 7 today and I gave her a subtraction work sheet to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if you have taken a good look at MUS. My son was in private school doing Saxon math and really struggling with this spiral method.(Abeka is spiral but I've never used their video program) When I brought him home I realized he did not know his subraction and addition facts very well. I started him in MUS alpha and because he was older, was able to move fairly quickly through the level to get him up to speed. He is a very visual learner and being able to work with the blocks to "see" the add,sub, and mult, was very helpful. I did need to work with him one on one or he would have been completely lost! . I guess what I'm saying is that she probably needs to rebuild the basics and move back a few levels. Whatever program you use, it is helpful to have some manipulatives (which can be anything around the house!)