Menu

Anyone been to a Pascha Feast?

DH and I are supposed to leave in a while to go to a Pascha Feast that a Greek Orthodox friend invited us to. It's at a nice restaurant. I'm not sure of any other details, other than that a lot of her church friends will be there, and I would like to not embarrass her.

What should I wear? She said she was going to wear a dress. The dress I have is grey. Is there any custom that I should wear something more eastery in color? Would I be the only woman in grey? This is probably my most conservative dress that is good for a warm evening. Some of my other options are either short sleeved/sleeveless or sort of body skimming. They wouldn't be immodest in my normal settings, but might be for a very conservative Christian setting. In general, would you expect a gathering of the Greek Orthodox to be quite conservative in dress? Or would that vary widely according to the place and people?

Or would dressy pants be better?

Can I go bare legged?

Is there something you say at a Pascha feast? Like "Happy Pascha?"

Is there something you say at a Pascha feast? Like "Happy Pascha?"

The traditional Greek greeting is "Christos Anesti! [Christ is Risen!]" The response is "Alithos anesti! [Truly He is risen!]" I doubt anyone will be offended if you say it in English. :)

I can't help you much with the dress; I think these things vary quite a bit from place to place. But a more conservative dress is probably your safest bet. After the fast, the focus will be on the food! :D At least that was my experience with Pascha among Ukrainians. :)

Yeah...after 40 days of a strict fast...people will be focused on the food! LOL!

We are Orthodox and had our feast at 1am this morning with the Church...after Paschal liturgy.

I have found Greek Orthodox to not be so conservative in dress....they dress nice..and modest but at the Churches we have attended they have been very fashionable.