Menu

Strictly Using Lapbooks for Science and History?

AnnaM

We LOVE lapbooks! I was just curious if anyone uses just lapbooks to cover their science and/or history? With there being so many to chose from do you find them comprehensive enough? How do you chose what order you do stuff in? Any other information you can share would be great too!

We love lapbooks too! I have sort of ending up doing this with dd 9 and dd5 with science but we will do an occasional experiment, get library books or watch a dvd to go with the topic.

I can't imagine learning about history without a good historical novel and "spine" though! In this case the lapbook (if we do one) is definitely secondary to the book.

How old are your dc?

Edited by JaneP
clarification

forgot to add...

we love the lapbooks at homeschool share (free)

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

We have started using more of the ones at Hands of a Child. These are pricey but are very well organised.

http://www.handsofachild.com/

btw for science we just choose any topic that suits us so there's no particular order or scope/sequence that we follow.

If you were studying history chronologically the Hands of a child Yahoo group has a file in their files section which lists their lapbooks in chronological order.

We love lapbooks here as well. I use them for both science and history. I try to find my lapbooks for free online and if I can't I'll purchase it from Hands of a child. I use it alone for science, other than pulling in bill nye videos and experiments. I use Science Scope by Kathryn Stout to ensure I'm covering everything. We started the year off learning about rocks and minerals and now we're on the solar system. DS says he wants to do extreme weather next, tornadoes, earthquakes...

For history I use SOTW2 and do the maps, reading and activities, but I also have a lapbook going at the same time. We did one on knights, now we're doing one on the black plague, and next vikings.

My ds picks which lapbooks we do which is probably why he says history and science are his favourite subjects.

Edited by Moniksca