Menu

Q re: First Language Lessons (FLL) new books for level 1 and 2

Guest dibsii

Guest dibsii

Hi,

Having just started out on our home ed journey (ds 10, dd 8, dd, 4), I am considering the FLL books. I understand that the previous level 1/2 combined book has been replaced by two separate books. Level 3 has a separate student workbook, but I can't see a workbook for levels 1 and 2. Does anyone know if there are workbooks for the lower two levels (or in pipeline) or are they unnecessary because practice space is included in the main textbook?

Many thanks if you can advise.

:bigear:

I have seen a youtube video of SWB talking about the new editions of FLL for levels 1 and 2. She says that the reason that it was updated was that there is redundancy of the narrations and writings, when the old edition is used in combination with the writing with ease series. She goes on to say that if you use WWE, you should feel free to skip the writing and narration assignments in the first edition of FLL. The new editions have these removed already. Hope this helps.

We are currently using both FLL (the new Level 1) and WWE 1. There's still copywork and enrichment activities in the new FLL but it is relevant to the grammar lesson. The old FLL 1/2, since WWE was not out at the time, doubled as a writing program also. FLL has since been revised to include copywork only as it relates the the grammar (since FLL was really designed as a grammar program but writing had been added for those that did not want to use a separate writing program). At least this is how I understand it as SWB has explained it and from my own observations so far (we are still new to both programs). I am really pleased with both though.

The slower pace in WWE, focusing on narration and copywork at the lower levels has my son writing every chance he gets now :). It was one area that I had some concerns with at first, until I found out about the approach in WWE. As for FLL, given all the other LA programs we are currently using I am truly happy that it is slower paced also. I was going to use only the first one or two levels but now I am considering using all four and then moving onto Shurley. After we finish Horizons Phonics and ETC in grade two, I may try to use FLL 3 and 4 in one year and then start Shurley in grade 4. We'll see how it goes.

Just to add that the copywork and enrichment activities are to be completed separately, meaning you do not use the book for that. We actually have FLL Level 1 on PDF and I do not have to print anything. We just use it directly from our computer. The activities just tell you what the copywork is and then you just use any notebook pages you wish to use for your child.