Menu

Another spelling question

LillianinAL

My dd, age 11, is about to finish AAS level 1. I think it's a good program, but it's too time-intensive for us for Spelling. My other dc have used Spelling Workout. I prioritize Math for one-on-one time with this dd, who is dyslexic. She is a good reader now, but she definitely needs a lot of help with spelling. I need something she can do more on her own, so that she gets spelling practice consistently, daily. We have not been able to do it daily, so the retention isn't what it should be. I'd like to say I can do it, but with two curious toddlers, it's not realistic. So, workbook or computer program for spelling for her? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Lillian

We haven't used it long, but my son is enjoying the Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary program the Growing with Grammar people put out recently. My dd can't wait to start it. I really like AAS, and think it's a good program but I was having trouble fitting in the time for it even though it only took me 15 minutes per child, it was just too much when added to all the other teacher intensive items I have going on.

Kel,

I really like the looks of this program. I noticed your dc is in 6th and doing levels 3 and 4. How did you decide where to start?

thanks, Lillian

I looked at their scope and sequence and decided to start with level 3, because he's in no way a natural speller, and needed work on words that use "Eigh" for long a as well as a few other things in that level. My plan is that if he passes the pre-test with 100% then we'll skip that "weeks" work pages and move right into the next lesson, which is why I have 2 levels for him.