Menu

singapore workbooks

Mom-ninja.

I use Horizons, but use the 70 Must Know Word Problems as a supplement. I hated word problems as a child because no one ever really explained how to do them :glare:. Thus, I am overcompensating with DS. We also use the Daily Word Problems (http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Word-Problems-Grade-5/dp/1557998175/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293716160&sr=1-6). Half way through the year and DS is finally becoming somewhat proficient with the word problems and loves trying to figure them out.

You can read the reviews on amazon for them. They are not done by anyone connected with Singapore math. It's a way for US workbook publishers to grab on to the Singapore name. There have also been a few threads on this by people here who have seen the books. (They're a lot older - came out when the books started coming out.)

The new CWPs are available here. I haven't seen them (bought the old ones as soon as I heard they were going out of print), but the reviews here from people who have have been pretty positive. I don't know if they have complete solutions at the back or not.

If you want extra practice with mental math with how Singapore does it, the Math Express Speed Math books may be good.

I like the iExcel books as additional workbooks that do some demonstration of the bar model approach and some general problem solving. (Looks like they're being replaced with a new series.)

I've seen people post here to get solutions. Some people are good at drawing bar models in this browser! I've started working through the CWP to get the bar models. You can also post on the Singapore boards for help with any problems.